Sunday, January 23, 2011

Granny

I have some old scarves of my Granny's and tonight as I was "moving in" to a secretary desk I had refurbished I pulled them out. I looked at them honestly wishing I knew how in the world to wear a scarf like that. As I looked I wondered if I could still smell my Granny's scent on them. Do you know how everyone has a scent? Nothing bad, not a perfume, just a distinct scent? Guess what. I couldn't smell exactly her but I distinctly smell her dresser drawer, the scent of sitting at her vanity with her lipstick and her clip on earrings wearing one of her many many slips as an evening gown. I miss her so much and I sat there and cried at her memory. It has been years since she passed but for some reason the last six months I have thought of her very often. A few weeks ago I sat trying to teach Savannah how to read hymns and pointing the words out as Granny did for me in church when we were lucky enough to have her with us at church. Savannah started singing "I believe in Christ" with a very clear child like voice and again... melting in to tears. She was an unbelievable Christian and the kind of Granny everyone needs. The kind that sits you on her lap, lets you wear her lipstick, always has Certs in her purse, picks you up and babysits you, takes you to buy school shoes, and makes amazing fried chicken. Towards the end she was more frail and suffering with alzheimers and I just wish so much that I had stopped and loved her more as a teenager. I am grateful for the knowledge of eternal families and that I will see her again and make up for lost time.

4 comments:

iamwoman said...

I love your granny too;) I only knew her in her last years on earth--but amazing lady, I could tell.

iamwoman said...

I love your granny too;) I only knew her in her last years on earth--but amazing lady, I could tell.

Regina said...

and now I'm crying. Oh that I could be half the grandmother that she was!

Corley said...

I miss her all the time, Erica! She was truly amazing. I feel grateful to call her ours.